[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 21:48:19 PST 2020

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:45 AM Stefan Teleman via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:40 AM Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:35 AM Stefan Teleman via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> >> Q: Do I oppose the policy?
> >> A: No, I don't. As I have already stated, the policy was created after
> >> the fact. I am in opposition to the fact. The policy is secondary, and
> >> irrelevant, because its only purpose is to provide cover for the
> >> existing fact. If the fact didn't exist, the policy wouldn't be
> >> necessary.
> >>

> > I'm sorry, but this is incorrect in every word. The policy encoded
> existing practice over the last decade plus and is as we have been
> implementing all along. If that doesn't match your experiences as a newer
> developer I'm quite sorry, but is the case.
>
> By "last decade" you probably mean the sudden appearance of the GN
> build files. I wouldn't call it "last decade". Perhaps "last year or
> so" would be more accurate.

No. I meant every word that I said. The policy encoded existing practice
and exactly how we've handled things for years. I'm sorry if this hasn't
matched your experiences, as I said, but there's nothing new or radical
with what we wrote down. It's what we've intended and how we've meant to
act.

> Please don't pull rank. It's tacky and uncalled for.

Avoid the personal commentary, I'm giving you context that you may not have.

Thanks.

-eric