[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 21:28:17 PST 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 8:56 PM Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     wasn't a
> >      >      > clear response in the context of Renato's support tiers
> RFC.
> >      >      >
> >      >      > It seems like Tom and Renato still disagree about whether I
> >      >     should move
> >      >      > this to a pitch. I would appreciate some consensus on that
> >     point at
> >      >      > least :-D I do see the appeal of a living document for
> >     this sort of
> >      >      > thing, so definitely see the appeal there, but also it
> >     seems like
> >      >     the
> >      >      > pitch process is a heavier-weight and more unusual one, so
> >     I was
> >      >      > hesitant. My inclination is to continue this as an RFC
> >     unless we are
> >      >      > unable to reach consensus on the issue as outlined in the
> >     pitch
> >      >     process
> >      >      > description. It does feel like this is really not quite as
> >     big a
> >      >      > decision as you seem to be suggesting. It's also an easily
> >      >     reversible
> >      >      > one since there are no build dependencies and everything is
> >      >     contained.
> >      >      >
> >      >
> >      >     I still think this should be a pitch.  The original mailing
> list
> >      >     discussion was controversial and that's when an RFC should be
> >     escalated
> >      >     to a pitch according to: [1].
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > You may have missed it, but in the meantime there has been
> >     another RFC
> >      > clarifying our policy though:
> >     https://llvm.org/docs/SupportPolicy.html
> >      > It seems fair to me to revisit this RFC as is in light of the
> >     policy change.
> >      >

> >     I don't think the questions about whether or not this should be
> >     included
> >     in the project are answered by this new policy.
> >

> > I'll quote the policy:
> >
> >  > Section: "What is covered"
> >  > The peripheral tier is composed of:
> >  > Experimental targets and options that haven’t been enable by default
> yet.
> >  > Main repository projects that don’t get released or regularly tested.
> >  > Legacy tools and scripts that aren’t used in upstream validation.
> >  > *Alternative build systems (ex. GN, Bazel) and related
> infrastructure.*
> >
> > The intent of the policy is to cover exactly this proposal.
> >

> My understanding of the policy is that these categories of things still
> need to be approved in order to be added to the tree.  Am I correct, or
> does this policy allow anyone to add an alternative build system as long
> as they can satisfy the support requirements.

I agree with you, but that does not make it a justification for a pitch
automatically.
The policy gives us a framework to discuss and avoids to rehash the same
set of arguments over and over:  for example we don't object to a specific
proposal because we don't agree with the policy, but because of the
specifics of a particular proposal.
Similarly, an RFC or a pitch shouldn't have to re-evaluate what has been
codified as OK in a policy, otherwise what is the point of codifying it in
the first place if everything is always revisited?

> >     To me the part about
> >     how the bazel build files were going to be supported and what
> >     responsibility the community had for maintaining them was always
> >     very clear.
> >
> >      > I'd actually like to request that the objections are reiterated
> and
> >      > positioned in terms of the policy before we escalate this.
> >      >

> >     I don't think it's really fair to ask people to re-object to the
> >     proposal.
> >

> > Why?
> > The objections were mostly answered and have been addressed in the
> > policy. I don't quite get what you would put in a "pitch" while the
> > informations are outdated by the policy.
> > On the contrary it seems not only fair to me, but necessary.
>
> I don't really agree that all the objections were addressed.  Maybe we
> should directly reach out to people from the original thread and ask them?

Seems like we agree in the end: we need the objections to be restated :)

> I'm not really a fan of having another build system in tree, but I also
> don't want to keep devoting a lot of time to arguing about it.  I was
> hoping that with the pitch process, we could avoid the kind of back and
> forth arguing on the list that typically make these RFCs so tiring.
>
> I still don't quite understand why there is so much push back against
> pitches, but I think everyone knows my perspective now, so I'm going to
> step back and let other people work out what the next steps should be.

Can only speak for myself: I believe pitches should be more of a "last
resort" than "the normal way of driving any proposal". I object to what I
see using too easily a "pitch" as a way to "work around discussions".

--
Mehdi