[llvm-dev] [RFC] Expanding the scope of ENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_NEW_PASS_MANAGER

Arthur Eubanks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 15:19:39 PST 2020

Implementing this proposal does not in any way stop the flip of the
flag, they are completely unrelated. This increases the scope of the new
pass manager since much of lld's use of LTO is currently unconditionally
using the legacy PM and flipping the flag wouldn't change that.

There are some things that the new pass manager doesn't currently support.
For example, all of AMDGPU would be broken with the switch to the new pass
manager since currently AMDGPU's passes aren't injected into the pipeline.
I'm working on the (few) remaining issues and do plan to flip the switch
soon.

Also as mentioned in previous discussions, lots of people use the default,
which currently is the legacy PM.