[llvm-dev] libLTO Codegen options issue

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 3 15:11:00 PST 2020

A quick feedback will be that (1) is not an option. libLTO APIs need to be stable and existing APIs cannot be changed.

I am curious about your motivation for the change. If you have access to `InitTargetOptionsFromCodeGenFlags`, then you don't need libLTO interface at all since you are building again LLVM and you are free to call any underlying API you want.

In libLTO, `parseCodeGenDebugOptions` is a debug function as name suggested. People should not rely on that in production. Instead, new APIs should be created for the underlying setting you need. I don't see reasons why you need to parse CodeGen flags before creating code generator.

Steven