[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Moving (parts of) the Cling REPL in Clang

Vassil Vassilev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 1 10:50:56 PST 2020

On 7/11/20 12:10 AM, Hal Finkel wrote:

> On 7/10/20 4:00 PM, JF Bastien wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 10, 2020, at 1:55 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov
>>> <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:

>>> I had in mind something that's probably in between. Something that
>>> explains the patches and enough about how they fit into a larger
>>> system that we can reason about the context.
>>
>> Maybe a purpose would be more useful to understand your request? I
>> assume you meant “I’d like us to understand what we’re signing up to
>> maintain, and why it’s useful to do things this way”. In particular,
>> if there’s undue burden in a particular component, and the code could
>> be changed to work differently with less support overhead, then we’d
>> want to identify this fact ahead of time.
>>
>> I’m guessing at what Hal is asking, LMK if that’s not what you had in
>> mind!
>

> Yes. To understand how all of the pieces fit together to enable
> support for incremental compilation of C++ code. Once everything is in
> place, if I wanted to use the infrastructure to do some kind of
> incremental compilation of C++, what would I do? And what do the set
> of patches aim to do to get us there?

   It took us a while... We have published a blog post on interactive
C++ with cling at the LLVM blog. Direct link
<https://blog.llvm.org/posts/2020-11-17-interactive-cpp-with-cling/>. I
realize this touches only on some aspects of interactive C++ and cling.
We have a longer document with more information but I am not yet
comfortable in giving a public pointer to it. If you are interested in
that document please ping me off-list and I will give you access.