[llvm-dev] JavaScript implementation of LLVM primitives (Value, Block, etc)

Matt Fysh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 29 03:57:13 PDT 2020

Hi there,

I'm working on a new language but not at all proficient with C/C++... I was
wondering if there was an experimental-ish implementation of LLVM IR in
JavaScript which would allow me to use the LLVM primitives to build an IR,
and then write an IR interpreter in JS.

The reason I'm looking to use javascript is that I'll be able to move
faster and explore a large backlog of ideas quickly, before committing them
to the language spec.

Does something like this exist? If no, are there alternatives where someone
with no C/C++ knowledge can quickly explore and prototype language ideas?
I'm particularly interested in use-def chains, coroutines, and to a certain
extent - type safety.

I'm also interested in tracking produced values over multiple executions,
and in later executions using the same value without computation if it has
shown to produce the same value consistently. Is this something in the LLVM
ecosphere currently, or is this more of a higher-level concept?

Thanks!