[llvm-dev] [11.0.0 Release] Release Candidate 2 is here -- Rust perf report

Josh Stone via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 25 12:41:00 PDT 2020

On 8/20/20 1:34 PM, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev wrote:
> The llvmorg-11.0.0-rc2 tag was just created.

We merged the upgrade from LLVM 10 to 11-rc2 in Rust over the weekend,
and I'm happy to share that the build performance is much improved!

Here's that PR and a few performance comparisons:
(measuring compilation, not running the resulting binary)

* PR: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/73526

* cycles:
https://perf.rust-lang.org/compare.html?start=e482c86b9de32c6392cb83aa97d72e22425163f9&end=7ce71c362be9a89e7897ac066aba6e3e6f747800&stat=cycles%3Au

* instructions:
https://perf.rust-lang.org/compare.html?start=e482c86b9de32c6392cb83aa97d72e22425163f9&end=7ce71c362be9a89e7897ac066aba6e3e6f747800&stat=instructions%3Au

* wall-time:
https://perf.rust-lang.org/compare.html?start=e482c86b9de32c6392cb83aa97d72e22425163f9&end=7ce71c362be9a89e7897ac066aba6e3e6f747800&stat=wall-time

There are big improvements in most "-opt" (optimized) builds, which is
certainly great to see. There are some slowdowns in check and debug
builds, which could indicate codegen regressions in the build of rustc
itself, but these haven't been investigated yet.