[llvm-dev] Exceptions and performance

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 13 19:39:40 PDT 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:35 PM Haoran Xu <haoranxu510 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
>> Sorry, yes. No difference between explicit error handling and
>> exceptions. The difference is in all the functions that don't have
>> explicit error handling but (in the exception-using equivalent code)
>> aren't marked nothrow (where, without exceptions, the compiler could
>> move the increment across the call).
>
> According to your argument, assuming that correctly annotating throw specifications is impractical, if one wants to mitigate the performance implications of exceptions, not using exceptions oneself is not going to be helpful (since as you said, explicit error-handling and exceptions have no difference), and instead one must completely disable exceptions with -fno-exceptions?
>
> On the other hand, if the project is not built with -fno-exceptions, using exceptions to replace explicit error-handling would not degrade performance.

Once you get past the nothrow default problems, then you probably have
to deal with the performance tradeoffs between the current strategy
for exception implementations (table based, etc) compared to the
tradeoffs for explicit error handling. You'd probably find that using
exceptions for /every/ error return would not be the right perf
tradeoff for many use cases where errors are at least somewhat common.
So you'd probably end up with a hybrid solution - some things using
exceptions where the failure is rare/going to be costly anyway
(stopping the process, showing an error to a user/asking for user
input about retrying, etc) and then still using explicit error
handling for other things.