[llvm-dev] Exceptions and performance

Haoran Xu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 13 16:38:03 PDT 2020

Hello David and Sterling, thanks for the reply!

I have no intention to heat up the discussion, please pardon me if I asked
questions that might sound silly to you -- it's just that I truly didn't
understand since I'm not expert in llvm or optimizer or exception handling
at all.

I believe one of the main reasons your understanding there might be
> incorrect: Not every function returns an error code. But essentially every
> function can throw

I think if a function could throw, then it *should* return an error code in
the no-except approach, otherwise there would be no way to convey the error
to caller.
So I did't get the point that "essentially every function can throw".
Indeed by default most of the C++ functions may throw (and some of them may
actually be non-throwing), but LLVM should (at least in theory) be able to
correctly figure out which functions may actually throw as long as it has
the definition, is that correct?
So if a function does not call external functions, the whole control flow
graph (including the throw parts) should be available to LLVM even if there
are exceptions, so I think there should be no limitation in moving code
around? In the case that the function calls external functions, then it
should already be hard to move code across that external function call, so
I thought having exceptions does not pose an additional limitation. Maybe I
misunderstood some part?

Exceptions add a conditional goto from every single function call (without
> good noexcept hygiene, which practically no program has), to the exception
> handler or cleanup landing pad (whether the exception handler is written in
> the code explicitly or not, something has to run the destructors of objects
> that are going out of scope.)

I did't quite understand what is different between this and an
error-checking 'if'. Let's say you have a function call f(). Then with
error code, the logic would look like
error_code = f()
if (error_code) {
  (call all destructors)  <-- generated by llvm
  return error_code;
}
and with exception, the code would (conceptually) look like:
exceptions = f()
if (exceptions) {         <-- generated by llvm
  call all destructors;  <-- generated by llvm
  resume exceptions;   <-- generated by llvm
}                                <-- generated by llvm
The only difference is that the code for 'if' branch would physically
reside in the exception table, but I couldn't see why this would make a
difference to the optimizer. The optimizer could in theory just optimize
the code as if it were a physically-existing 'if' branch (and achieve the
same optimized code as the error-code approach), and then finally put the
'if' branch into the exception table. Am I missing some piece?

Thanks,
Haoran

Sterling Augustine <saugustine at google.com> 于2020年8月13日周四 下午3:35写道: