[llvm-dev] How to deal with multiple patches to the same file

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 12 07:21:46 PDT 2020

I have a patch being reviewed in Phabricator. A couple of suggestions were made, so I would like to submit a revised patch. I think this patch will take awhile to be accepted, or perhaps never will be.

Meanwhile, I would like to fix an unrelated bug in one of the same C++ files. Here is my plan. Could you tell me if this makes sense?

I will make a branch off master for the bug fix, make the fix, and submit a patch to Phabricator. I will mark that patch as needing to come before the one already submitted.

I will make the fixes to the original patch. I will include the bug fix, since the second bug-fix patch will be committed before the original patch. I will use --amend to merge the suggested changes into the original patch and then submit a revised patch.

Is that right?