[llvm-dev] How to deal with multiple patches to the same file

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 11 06:55:02 PDT 2020

> >> Why did you 'git pull --rebase' when the branch was up-to-date? Is this
> >> just a safety habit?
> >
> >Yes.  Frequently I put my patches on my local master branch, rather
> >than create a separate patch branch, and always rebasing keeps my
> >commits at the HEAD of the branch.  It's harmless when you have no
> >local commits, so it's a good habit to form.
>
> Do you work on multiple patches at once this way? If so, how do you tease
> the files apart when it's time to submit one of the patches?

I don't intentionally work on multiple patches at once this way. :0)
But for something simple, I'll work directly on my copy of master,
and then `git pull --rebase` is crucial.  Given that --rebase is a
no-op if you have no private commits, it's a worthwhile habit.

I did once find myself working on multiple patches at once this way,
unintentionally.  I created separate branches from a point before my
local commits, cherry-picked my commits to the separate branches, and
did `git reset --hard` on master to unwind those commits.  Going
forward from there it was mainly a matter of keeping my build trees
organized, one per branch.

> >> I don't understand the pushing upstream. Since we use Phabricator,
> isn't
> >> that the job of the person who commits the patch?
> >
> >Soon enough (if you keep contributing) you'll get commit access and
> >be doing that yourself.  LLVM is a lot more liberal about commit
> >privileges than many open-source projects.
>
> Ah, I was confused. I thought the final commit of a patch was done from
> the patch file in Phabricator, not from the submitting person's
> repository.

If I'm committing someone else's patch for them, I retrieve the patch
file from Phab and apply it to my repo, then commit from there.  If it's
my own patch I just push from my repo.
Phab doesn't have a way to push; I believe Arcanist does, but again it's
working off of your local repo not what has been posted to Phab.
--paulr