[llvm-dev] Switching to Ninja

Andrzej Warzynski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 10 03:04:54 PDT 2020

On 09/08/2020 16:00, Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev wrote:

> 1. Building with Visual Studio created build/release/bin. Building with Ninja created build/bin (no release directory). Does that make sense? (I have -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release on the cmake command.)

Yes. CMake's Visual Studio generators are multiconfig, which means that
you specify the build type (Release vs Debug etc) when _building_.
Ninja, by default, is single-config (i.e. you specify build type when
_configuring_ with CMake).

You can check your generator via CMake's GENERETOR_IS_MULTICONFIG
(https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.18/prop_gbl/GENERATOR_IS_MULTI_CONFIG.html).
Also, recently CMake added support for multi-config builds for Ninja:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.18/generator/Ninja%20Multi-Config.html

-Andrzej