[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce Dump Accumulator

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 6 09:17:09 PDT 2020

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 16:49, Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com> wrote:
> At a high level, you are right, the 2 alternatives are similar, but the devil is in the details. The build system (basel-based) is hermetic, and needs to be aware of all such extra files, and have a separate rule to copy and concatenate them. This solution turned out to be much cleaner.

Cleaner to your build system is not necessarily cleaner to LLVM and
all its users (downstream and upstream) and sub-projects.

What I'm trying to avoid is a custom-built solution injecting random
sections in the ELF binary to fix a problem that a specific build
system has for a specific project. That doesn't scale.

Like Hal, I'm trying to get you to use existing solutions in LLVM to
suit your needs, as the cost of keeping dangling features (ones used
by a single project) in a code as large as LLVM usually doesn't pay
off.

Even if that makes your build system slightly worse, the benefit of
not adding bespoke features, to all LLVM users (including you), is
still very much positive.

--renato