[llvm-dev] [RFC] Machine Function Splitter - Split out cold blocks from machine functions using profile data

Snehasish Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 5 16:05:58 PDT 2020

Thanks for the response Aditya! As David pointed out we are focused on
performance for a specific target and thus find that performing splitting
at a later stage yields better results.
I've also uploaded the diff for review at https://reviews.llvm.org/D85368.
Please feel free to comment on the patch as well.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:48 AM Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 10:51 PM aditya kumar <hiraditya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Glad to hear that there is an interest in a function splitting pass.
>> There are advantages to splitting functions at different stages as you've
>> already noted.
>>

> Right -- with slightly different objectives. Machine Function Splitting
> Pass's main focus is on performance improvement.
>
>> - Having a target independent function splitting scales well to LTO,
>> ThinLTO, supporting multiple architectures and offers ease of maintenance.
>> - While HCS+merge-function helps significantly reduce the codesize, in
>> many cases the outlined functions tend to have identical function bodies
>> (e.g., assert-fail etc); they can be deduplicated by linker with careful
>> function naming. This reduces code-size regardless of function merging and
>> across the entire program. This technique should also help Machine Function
>> splitter in some cases but at some cost to the link time.
>>

> yes -- I think this can also be achieved with the partial inlining pass.
>
> - It will be difficult to reduce argument setup and restore code in the
>> HCS except in some cases like tail call, internal function calls,
>> non-returning function calls etc. Having frame setup however should help
>> with debugging IMO.
>>
> I would like to point out that we do have frame setup for basic block
sections to ease debugging (https://reviews.llvm.org/D79978). Machine
function splitter leverages the basic block sections feature to implement
splitting.

>> > Recent work at Google has shown that aggressive, profile-driven
>> inlining for performance has led to significant code bloat and icache
>> fragmentation
>>
>> Because the inliner can be too aggressive at times and can negatively affect icache-miss etc, HCS can be integrated with inliner to assist in partial inlining (For example: split the callee before inlining). Rodrigo (@rcorcs) has some ideas around that and we've been exploring that as part of GSoC project.
>>

> The Inliner can also be hindered without splitting. Partial inlining can
> help a little, but it can be limited because many of the outlining
> opportunities are only exposed after inlining (in inline instances).
>  Making inliner Machine Splitting or HCS aware is the way to go.   Machine
> Function splitting has an advantage here as it does not need sophisticated
> analysis to figure out what part of code can and can not be split out post
> inlining.
>

>> We've performance numbers from Firefox which shows ~5% performance
>> improvement with HCS (cc: Ruijie @rjf). Vedant also reported performance
>> numbers across iOS and Swift benchmarks in the past. I could find (
>> https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/21016) which reported decent
>> performance improvement in core ios Frameworks.
>>

> Nice. If possible, the same performance tests can be done for Machine
> Splitting once the patch is posted :)
>

>> That said we have been working on improving the cost model which I think
>> will help alleviate many of the limitations that we typically don't have in
>> a Machine Splitting optimization. I'd like to hear your ideas on how the
>> cost model can be improved.
>>

> The partial inliner pass has introduced many cost analysis using profile
> data. I think HCS should probably share those code (as utilities) as the
> nature of the transformation is similar. Cost model can sometimes be quite
> tricky though -- it is hard to compare the cost with the actual benefit
> brought by the splitting.   The beauty of machine splitting is that it does
> not depend on sophisticated cost/benefit model.

The pass itself is fairly simple (see MachineFunctionSplitter.cpp,
https://reviews.llvm.org/D85368) and there is no cost benefit model as
David pointed out.