[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce Dump Accumulator

Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 5 16:16:40 PDT 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM Eli Friedman <efriedma at quicinc.com> wrote:

> I’m not a fan of keeping important data outside the IR in an analysis.  If
> we’re planning to emit it, it should be represented directly in the IR.  Is
> there some reason we can’t just stick the data in a global variable?

The analysis in the scenarios here is external to LLVM - ML training, for
example. It's really a way to do printf, but where the data could be large
(challenging in a distributed build env, where IO may be throttled), or
non-textual (for instance, capture IR right before a pass). An alternative
would be to produce a side-file, but then (again, distributed build), you
have to collect those files and concatenate them, and modify the build
system to be aware of all that.

> I’m not sure it’s helpful to have a generic mechanism for this; it’s not
> clear how this would work if multiple different features were trying to
> emit data into the llvm_dump section at the same time.

You could layer the approach: the one llvm_dump section has a pluggable
reader.