[llvm-dev] Is there precedent for customizing clang -help output in a toolchain specific way

Snider, Todd via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 5 08:26:12 PDT 2020

Hi Andrzej,

I've been playing around with a couple of approaches to allow a toolchain to take control of the content of the -help output, but I'm not thrilled with the results.

The general approach that I've tried is to have a toolchain-specific version of PrintHelp() create its own OptTable either by filtering the OptTable generated from Options.td or by using a toolchain-specific version of Options.td that contains only the options and HelpText fields that the toolchain wants in the -help output. Each of these approaches has to mess with a generic API in some way (either the OptTable API or the Driver API).

Have you had some success in your attempts to customize Driver::PrintHelp()? I'd be interested to learn what you've tried.

~ Todd