[llvm-dev] Discourse category for the AMDGPU target

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 4 14:46:03 PDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:22 PM Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have much personal interest here - but my understanding was
> > that there was/is a fair bit of pushback to fragmenting the
> > communications channels to discord before there's a more general
> > buy-in to switch over across the project? (perhaps I'm misremembering
> > the previous threads about discourse, though - and we have already
> > pretty significantly fragmented on the chat-like medium between IRC
> > and Discord)
>
> Discourse is really more of an alternative to mailing lists, not to chat.

Right - I mentioned that that by analogy here.

In any case, the main thread that discussed this previously is here:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-November/136880.html
(including links to the live/in-use Discord and Discourse)

I'm not sure what discussion went into MLIR using discourse - whether
it got in sideways by being the way the project already interacted
before it came under the LLVM umbrella. But I have some concerns about
the fragmentation there.

Perhaps most of the push back is about the existing LLVM lists and
doesn't apply as much to new subcommunities, but I have my
doubts/concerns about fragmenting the tools used to interact with LLVM
communities like this - making it  harder for folks to move between
different subcommunities when contributing across the boundaries.