[llvm-dev] Organization of LLVM utilities

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 4 12:06:21 PDT 2020

Could you expand on this a bit? I see from my build directory that llvm-tblgen.exe was built before the Target/* .inc files. It sounds like you're saying that something has to be built between the .exe and the .inc files.

At 8/4/2020 02:44 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

>> On Aug 4, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> I was confused by the lack of TableGen backends in the llvm/lib/tablegen directory until I stumbled upon the llvm/utils/tablegen directory. Could someone explain why TableGen is divided into these two directories?
>
>The mechanical reason is that llvm/utils builds before llvm/libs.  The basic TableGen support is required to generate .inc files in the libs directory.
>
>-Chris

Windfall               Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
   Software            978 369-0839
                             www.windfall.com
My life has been filled with calamities,
some of which actually happened.
---Mark Twain

Guga 'mzimba, sala 'nhliziyo