[llvm-dev] Nontemporal memory accesses and fences

Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 29 14:40:39 PDT 2020

________________________________
From: JF Bastien <jfbastien at apple.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 4:24 PM
To: Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov>
Cc: Cranmer, Joshua <joshua.cranmer at intel.com>; llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Nontemporal memory accesses and fences

On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov<mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:

________________________________
From: llvm-dev <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org<mailto:llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org>> on behalf of JF Bastien via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 4:54 PM
To: Cranmer, Joshua <joshua.cranmer at intel.com<mailto:joshua.cranmer at intel.com>>
Cc: llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>

I see nontemporals as a nice builtin so you don’t have to hand-write the assembly. I don’t think existing hardware is consistent enough to allow us to expose nice semantics at a language or IR level, in the sense that we probably don’t want to define what happens if you step out of the comfortable uses for nontemporals (i.e. what happens when you start having temporality). A builtin pre / post fence seems fine to me, but that still leaves a gaping semantic hole… which I’m also fine with.

FWIW you have the same problem, somewhat worse, with some vector load / store instructions on some ISAs.

I was under the impression that we had decided to move forward with the fence, and it continues to make sense to me.

I probably missed a prior discussion, so a link would be great! That being said, fences sound fine to me as long as they’re “nice builtins instead of inline asm” and don’t try to offer more than “whatever the hardware instruction, if any, means”.

I was referring to your RFC linked below (from 2016). We might also have talked about this offline. The fences seemed like a sensible solution. Reviewing the RFC thread, it seemed like: 1) We needed separate load and store fences and 2) There may have been some uncertainty how to map these on ARM.

 -Hal

 -Hal