[llvm-dev] Android kernel PGO with LLVM

Yi Ma via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 28 04:25:20 PDT 2020

Hello,

I'm working on Android kernel profile-guided optimization to figure out
whether pgo can improve the performance of Android kernel. I have tried
to added '-fprofile-generate' option to build Android kernel(msm-4.19).
But error occurs during building: "undefined reference to
'__llvm_profile_instrument_target'".
I have tried to add libclang_rt.profile-aarch64-android.a as a library
when building Android kernel, but the error still shows up. I think the
kernel may not be able to call libraries outside the kernel source tree,
so I was porting pgo-related files(compiler-rt/lib/profile/) from
compiler-rt to Android kernel source tree.

Do you know why did this error occurs? And am I doing the right thing?
Is it possible to improve the performance of Android kernel with llvm
pgo mechanism?

Thanks,
Yi Ma