[llvm-dev] C++ JIT Compiler with LLVM on Windows 10 - part 5

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 27 11:41:24 PDT 2020

I was just reading the blog post -- very cool!

Regarding Globals construction & destruction: There definitely has been a
lot of churn in that area. There will probably be more before  LLVM 11 is
released, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I think the Right
Way to run initializers in a JITDylib is to treat it as equivalent to a
dlopen operation (with extra allowances for the fact that new initializers
can be added to a JITDylib at runtime). This is what the LLJIT::initialize
method is doing. Now we just need to generalize it to support
out-of-process JITs. That will at least require a new remote-target
abstraction, and an RPC implementation for testing in-tree.

Regarding emulated TLS deactivation: I've never looking into how/whether
this works on Windows. If it doesn't make sense to have it on by default
there we can change the default for Windows targets.

Regarding merging of multiple modules:

"But of course this would not work because as soon as I try to load the
second script, I get a duplicate symbol error from LLVM (and this
completely makes sense):

[ERROR]: LLVM error: Duplicate definition of symbol '??_7success at lest@@6B@'"

I think that anything that llvm-link can merge should, in theory, be safe
to add to the JIT. This actually sounds like a bug. Are you able to share
the full modules that you were merging?

Regards,
Lang.