[llvm-dev] [RFC] Improving FileCheck

Jon Roelofs via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Apr 18 10:57:50 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Joel E. Denny <jdenny.ornl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 1:16 PM Jon Roelofs via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

All of these are variants in some form or another of comments that contain
>> the check prefix, but which are intentionally not actual CHECK lines.
>>

> Thanks for working on this.  That report makes me think the diagnostic is
> going to be frustrating.  What do you think?

This seems small compared to the number of tests, and even smaller compared
to the number of total lines of test. It's also small compared to the
number of true positives it has found.

These cases can all be easily reworded to avoid the new diagnostic, and we
could even add the preferred spelling to avoid it in the diagnostic
itself, i.e. "if you want to avoid this, surround with backticks" (or
whatever we decide on).

IMO, that makes it worthwhile even despite a little discomfort.

Jon