[llvm-dev] How can pass be used to optimize a project?

Victor Campos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 17 03:20:57 PDT 2020

Hi,

one solution is to create wrappers and use them as CC and CXX (as in
./configure CC=path/to/wrapper CXX=/path/to/wrapper) in the project
you are building.

For example, you can create a Python script which receives the
command-line arguments passed originally to the C compiler and decides
what to do based on them:

1. if a "-c" is present, it's a compilation job, therefore add
"-emit-llvm" to the argument list.
2. else, this is a link job, therefore call llvm-link, then opt, then
generate the binary.

There are a few more cases to cover depending on the project. For
instance, if static libraries are built, you may need to create a
wrapper for 'ar' as well.

Cheers,
Victor.