[llvm-dev] Questions about vscale

Hanna Kruppe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 16 07:15:21 PDT 2020

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 20:04, Renato Golin <rengolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 18:04, Hanna Kruppe <hanna.kruppe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't see how the situation you mention is comparable. Legalization
> > for e.g. <3 x i32> was not implemented at first, but as demonstrated
> > by the fact that it *was* implemented later, there's no conceptual
> > problem with legalizing that kind of type. You don't even have to
> > legalize them in vector registers, three scalar registers work fine
> > (you can even do that on the IR level).
>
> That was the point I was trying to make, but in my head that fused
> with register shadowing, which derailed the point.
>
> To be clear, yes, "invalid" register configurations can easily usually
> be legalised in multiple ways at lowering.
>
> Not all will be optimal, though, and there is where the problem lives.
>
> > Legalization (codegen in general) does not know if the machine
> > code will eventually run on a chip with vector registers so small that
> > vscale works out to 1/2, but it has to choose some legalization
> > strategy.
>
> This is interesting, I had not realised that from the descriptions of
> the problem so far. I thought it was just due to non-power-of-two
> lengths.
>
> A "vector" register that is smaller than 64 bits wouldn't make much
> sense, unless this is a DSP-type extension on very small types. In
> those cases, every clock cycle and every instruction counts,
> especially inside the inner loop.
>
> I'm struggling to see how this can be optimally executed from a
> generic scalable code, which usually profits from the fact that vscale
> >> 1.

I can understand this kind of concern, but the specification permits
it and this entire thread is predicated on needing to target those
cores too. If we'd decide we're okay with LLVM-based toolchains only
supporting hardware with e.g. VLEN >= 64 (but see [*] below) then
there's no problem to begin with and no need for ideas like fractional
vscale or types that can't be legalized. Alternatively, we could treat
support for vector registers smaller than 64b as a separate ABI, like
with soft-float ABI vs hard-float ABI.

However, the current aspiration among the ISA designers and
software/toolchain developers is different. Cores with tiny VRF are
expected to be useful for some markets, and it's hoped that the V
extension can "scale down" well enough to avoid the need for a second
vector extension specifically for those cores. Personally, I have some
doubts about how well this will work out in practice, but of course
software and toolchain developers (including myself) would prefer to
keep everything as portable as possible. Binary portability across
wildly different vector register sizes is an explicit goal of the ISA,
adding an exception to this for no good reason would be very
unfortunate.

[*] If we settled on requiring VLEN >= 64, we'd still face the same
problem again if we ever want to add support for vectors elements
larger than 64b, such as quad-precision floats or 128 bit integers. I
don't really expect those to be commonly implemented for a long time,
but once again: it would be great to avoid the need for a separate and
incompatible target triple if and when such cores become relevant.

> > If <vscale x 1 x i32> ends up having one element, and <vscale x 2 x
> > i32> also has one (= 2 * 0.5) element, then that's wrong: the latter
> > type must have twice as many elements as the former (one example where
> > this matters: split_low / split_high / concat shuffle patterns). The
> > second option, a vector with *zero* elements, is just as wrong if not
> > worse.
>
> Right, that was the idea behind vscale from the beginning. I don't
> know how many elements either has, but I know the latter has twice as
> many as the former.
>
> I see why you would want half-length, because that truth still holds:
> the latter has twice as many halves as the former.
>
> But how do you handle the last half? Do you ignore? Do you load /
> store half? Do you always mask it out? Do you fuse with the next
> iterations' first half?
>
> If the semantics is not clear on how the back-ends are supposed to use
> that extra half, then extending the IR in such a way can make it very
> hard for generic optimisations to understand anything about the
> ranges, validity of operations, alignment, masks, undefined behaviour,
> etc.
>
> > It's not that a correct legalization exists but it's too annoying to
> > implement, or that one might exist but I'm too lazy to work it out.
>
> I never meant to imply that. Apologies if that's what came through.

Oh no, not at all! Sorry for the confusion, I should avoid rhetoric
that can create this impression.

> > We're also not running in a limitation or oddity of the RISC-V vector
> > ISA in particular. It's simply that, if you set vscale == 0.5, then by
> > the way scalable vector types work (vscale * const elements), some
> > vector types that can be written in the IR would need to have a
> > fractional number of elements to be consistent with the other scalable
> > vector types. As that is not possible (not even conceptually),
> > whatever code you emit to try to legalize that type will end up being
> > wrong in some respect.
>
> Honestly, I'm running out of breath in this discussion. :)
>
> I don't know a lot about SVE and even less about RISC-V, so I'll leave
> the more in-depth technical discussions for Florian/Sander and others
> to chime in.

Fair, thanks for the discussion so far :)

Best regards
Hanna