[llvm-dev] Various Intermediate Representations. IR

James Courtier-Dutton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 14 13:05:48 PDT 2020

Hi,

I am looking for an IR that is similar to LLVM IR, with its SSA form,
module->function->block->instruction etc.
But, I wish a much reduced type model.
I wish only three types:
1) An Integer of various bit-widths.
2) A pointer, but a pointer that does not need to point to a known
type. A sort of "pointer to unknown type".
3) Floats of various varieties.

For example, if we were using a pointer to step through an array of
32bit integers.
We would use: pointer = pointer + 4;   (I.e. step over 4 octets at a time)

Is anyone aware of such an IR, or is there some way for trick LLVM IR
into only using the above 2 types?
IR already does (1) and (3). It does not seem to be able to do (2).

Kind Regards

James