[llvm-dev] Running clang tests

Alexandre Ganea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 10 13:34:33 PDT 2020

Hi,

LLVM requires Visual Studio 2017 or 2019: https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html#software – you could use Community 2019.

I don’t recommend building LLVM inside Visual Studio. However you can generate or update the VS solution once in a while:

  *   mkdir buildVS && cd buildVS
  *   cmake {your_llvm_root}/llvm -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -Thost=x64 -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=clang;llvm -DLLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN=ON

Use Ninja instead for building: https://ninja-build.org/ it’s a lot faster - keep Visual Studio only for debugging.
Ensure ninja.exe is in %PATH%.

From a Visual Studio shell (“x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019” in the Start menu) run the following:

  *   mkdir buildNinjaRel && cd buildNinjaRel
  *   cmake {your_llvm_root}/llvm -G"Ninja" -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=clang;llvm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DLLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN=ON
  *   ninja check-all

You can then debug the test in VS: {your_llvm_root}\buildNinjaRel\tools\clang\unittests\ASTMatchers\ASTMatchersTests.exe

Then re-run “ninja check-clang-unit” or just “ninja” if you want to iterate on code changes.

Best,
Alex.