[llvm-dev] [RFC] Usage of NDEBUG as a guard for non-assert debug code

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 10 12:47:08 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Fāng-ruì Sòng <maskray at google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 10:15 AM Fangrui Song via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/8423a6f36386aabced2a367c0ea53487901d31ca/llvm/lib/Transforms/Scalar/IndVarSimplify.cpp#L2668

>>> +1 for bring up this topic.
>>>

>>> The code base sometimes uses #ifdef NDEBUG to guard the definitions of
>>> some struct/class members and functions.
>>>
>>> This means there are inherent ABI incompatibility between non-NDEBUG and
>>> NDEBUG object files. I hoped that mixing object files could work(at
>>> least in some configurations.  Also note that having different
>>> definitions of inline functions leads to ODR violation) but I think this
>>> cannot be changed any more.
>>>

>> Not sure I'm following - what "cannot be changed anymore"? If there are
>> ABI changing uses of NDEBUG they can and should be changed to
>> LLVM_ENABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS.
>>

> I agree that many NDEBUG uses are actually
> LLVM_ENABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS. By "cannot be changed anymore" I mean
> there are so many NDEBUG (700+ files),
> I am not sure we can still make mixing non-NDEBUG and NDEBUG object files
> work...

I'm not sure that "many NDEBUG uses should actually be
LLVM_ENABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS" - I would guess that most NDEBUG uses are
correctly non-abi breaking, but those that are abi-breaking can/should be
changed/fixed. Not all of those 700+ are abi breaking, probably most
aren't. And the folks that introduced LLVM_ENABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS and
other folks who've found that mode valuable have made fixes/continued to
maintain the feature I think.

Perhaps not - perhaps the feature has bitrotted to the point of
uselessness, in which case if no one's interested in it, it could be
removed. I don't believe that's the case, though - just a guess.