[llvm-dev] Upgrading LLVM's minimum required CMake version

Alexandre Ganea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 9 14:55:34 PDT 2020

Sorry if this was discussed,

Why not have a setup.sh/setup.bat/setup.exe which could download/install/setup everything we want, at the version we want, on a vanilla system? Handle the cases described by Chris below? Why leave the burden to the end-user?

Currently, it’s not exactly trivial to setup everything for building & running LLVM on Windows on a cloud VM if you want `ninja check-all` to pass on -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=llvm;mlir;clang;lld;clang-tools-extra;compiler-rt;lldb. There are many manuals steps, and often things that you forget (GnuWin32 FTW). On Ubuntu it is a bit easier, but still lots of trial and error.

We use NuGet<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/nuget/install-nuget-client-tools> packages in our build system and for our developers, to ensure they always have the right setup. Our games always build and use the toolings from the .nugets, not the default installations on the machine. This guarantees universal determinism everywhere and makes the developer setup a one-click-exe. Setting up a similar thing for LLVM for different OSes could be a bit more tricky, but nothing insurmountable?