[llvm-dev] Branch is not optimized because of right shift

Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 5 18:34:05 PDT 2020

Hi Craig,

> Adding a nuw to the add -8 is incorrect.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it was correct. It was just an observation that
with nuw the optimization was happened and I asked if someone thought it
was somehow connected.

> From the perspective of the unsigned math, -8 is treated a very large
positive number. The input to the add is [8,13) and adding a large positive
number to it wraps around past 0. So that is guaranteed unsigned wrap
I understand yes, but I don't think it is guaranteed. Unless I miss
something, for values in [0, 7] it won't wrap. But past that and up to (and
including in the original source code) 13, it will wrap yes.

Best,
- Stefanos

Στις Δευ, 6 Απρ 2020 στις 3:10 π.μ., ο/η Craig Topper <
craig.topper at gmail.com> έγραψε: