[llvm-dev] Questions after playing around with KaleidoscopeJIT (With source files)

Zeke Medley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 26 09:36:07 PDT 2019

Hi Gaier,

(2) - I'd imagine that this is more or less the expected behavior.
Function redefinition like that isn't legal in regular C++ land. If
you'd like to make the second definition shadow the old one though
that's a more interesting problem.

One idea that Patrick Nappa had is to name each function
"functionName_{count}" then keep a map between the function's name,
and its count. When you add a function, increment the count and add it
to the JIT with that name. To look it up, check the map for its most
recent name and look that up.

(4) - AFIK Clang uses the same optimization passes as you might choose
to add to the JIT. There is a really great sackoverflow question that
covers the optimization passes that Clang uses for various
optimization flags here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15548023/clang-optimization-levels

I'd imagine that you'd want to run those passes in the JIT because
that way you can control when things are optimized and likely speed up
compilation, but I'd be interested to see what you end up deciding on.

Also, as a side question, I'd be interested to know how you're using
clang to compile the C++ code into modules. I've been working on a
similar project and have found getting errors out of the parser
properly to be pretty difficult. If you've managed to solve that
problem, I'd love to hear about how you worked it out. Otherwise I
found Cling's incremental parsing code to be pretty helpful:

https://github.com/root-project/cling/blob/master/lib/Interpreter/IncrementalParser.cpp#L741

Good luck,
Zeke