[llvm-dev] [RFC] Propeller: A frame work for Post Link Optimizations

Sriraman Tallam via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 25 17:18:32 PDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 5:02 PM Eli Friedman <efriedma at quicinc.com> wrote:

> My biggest question about this architecture is about when propeller runs basic block reordering within a function.  It seems like a lot of the complexity comes from using the proposed -fbasicblock-sections to generated mangled ELF, and then re-parsing the mangled ELF as a separate step.  I'm not sure that's the right approach, long-term.
>
> Splitting every basic block into its own section introduces overhead, like you described.  And it's likely more complex on non-x86 targets, which have a greater variety of conditional branches.  And the reordering itself involves a bunch of x86 and ELF-specific code.
>
> I'd like to suggest an alternative: instead of perform basic block reordering and function splitting by manipulating the ELF files, you could perform reordering and splitting as part of link-time code generation, as an MIR pass that runs just before the assembly printer.  MIR is almost exactly the form you want for this sort of manipulation: it has basic blocks which correspond closely to the final binary, and a high-level representation of branch instructions.  And it's before the DWARF/CFI emission, so you don't need to worry about fixing them afterwards.  This should take less code overall, and much less target-specific code. And infrastructure for function splitting would be useful for non-Propeller workflows.
>
> There are some minor downsides to this approach I can think of.  You lose a little flexibility, in that you can't mix blocks from different functions together, but you aren't doing that anyway, from your description?

I have mentioned this in the RFC under alternate design in the
Experments.  We did consider this approach.  This is our first attempt
at doing this end to end. We plan to do much more.  We are looking at
much more aggressive inter-procedural code layout optimizations based
on path profiles and machine learning, which requires having support
for basic block sections. Being able to do inter-procedural block
layout is already showing more performance improvements over what we
have right now.    We don't think basic block sections is expensive if
done on demand and there are opportunities for performance exploration
with this support.

It might take more CPU time to re-do LTO code generation, but that's
probably not a big deal for applications where the user is willing to
collect two different kinds PGO of profiles for a program.