[llvm-dev] Changing behavior of lit.py's -v flag

Don Hinton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 18 19:37:52 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:01 AM David Greene via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Tim Northover via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Varun,
> >
> > I'm definitely in favour of making -v more useful like this.
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 19:31, Varun Gandhi via llvm-dev
> > <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >> Option 2 (less deviation from status quo):
> >> -v: Adopts behavior of -vvv from Option 1. :)
> >> -vv: Same as today. :)
> >
> > I think I prefer this one. There's a significant minority of tests
> > where a the single failing line isn't enough to work out what's
> > actually happened, if the FileCheck is a separate RUN for example.
> > Under this scheme no-one even needs to know -vv exists (which is good,
> > because I've been working with LLVM for many years and didn't until
> > this thread).
>
> +1.

+1 as well.

Perhaps just alias -v to -vv.  The -v option is pretty much worthless.

Making -v behave like -vv would be huge win for anyone trying to debug a
failure on a bot you don't own, and wouldn't require bot owners to change
anything.

I'll be happy to review the patch, or write it myself if that helps.

thanks...
don