[llvm-dev] PGO is ineffective for Rust - but why?

Michael Woerister via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 18 01:10:42 PDT 2019

> Are the 'function_entry_count' and the 'ProfileSummary' metadata included in the IR? I think some PGO passes may expect them to trigger.

Yes, they are present in the IR generate during the `profile-use`
phase. For my test case you can take a look at the IR generated here:

generate-phase:
https://github.com/michaelwoerister/rust-pgo-test-programs/blob/master/branch_weights/outputs/opt_lib_gen.lld.ll
use-phase: https://github.com/michaelwoerister/rust-pgo-test-programs/blob/master/branch_weights/outputs/opt_lib_use.lld.ll
source code: https://github.com/michaelwoerister/rust-pgo-test-programs/blob/master/branch_weights/opt_lib.rs

However, when using the right linker and thus not running into the GNU
ld bug mentioned earlier, I'm seeing proper speedups with PGO for this
test case. For other (larger) test cases I still don't see speedups so
I'll need to take a closer look at those.