[llvm-dev] Spectre V1 Mitigation - Internals?

Praveen Velliengiri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 17 07:57:37 PDT 2019

Hi,
Thanks for your email, I understand that the execution stalls until the
predicated state is computed, then we mask pointers with all_zeros_mask if
there is a mis-prediction. But I understand that as soon as the condition
value is available, the processor can check about it's assumptions and
revert back.

That is,
If the branch prediction is correct during speculation, we mask with
all_ones, the processor can follow the predicted branch to retire.
But if the processor mispredicted the branch, it will revert back as soon
as condition become available if this is the case then we don't execute
speculatively the operations : pointer1 &= predicate_state - (if branch)
and *pointer2 & predicted_state - (else branch) right? Or
out-of-processor's allow such access?

Plus, why we are masking with all_zeros_mask during mis-prediction. Is
there any reason for choosing all_zeros_mask?

Cheers,
Praveen