[llvm-dev] PGO is ineffective for Rust - but why?

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 12 09:31:40 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:18 AM Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:

> I just have a couple suggestions off the top of my head:
> - have you tried using the new pass manager
> (-fexperimental-new-pass-manager)? That has access to additional analysis
> info during inlining and is able to make more precise PGO based inline
> decisions.

(although note the above shouldn't make the difference between no
performance and a typical PGO performance boost)

Another thing I just thought of - are you using -ffunction-sections and
-fdata-sections? These will allow for PGO based function layout in the
linker (assuming you are using lld or gold).

- have you tried collecting profile data with and without PGO to see if you

--
Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |