[llvm-dev] Google’s TensorFlow team would like to contribute MLIR to the LLVM Foundation

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 12 09:00:38 PDT 2019

> On Sep 12, 2019, at 3:03 AM, Renato Golin <rengolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As with any new technology that we introduce to LLVM, these things can
> build up with time. Unlike them, however, MLIR is an existing project
> with its own responsibilities. There will be a period of instability
> for both projects as they are merged.

Yep, you’re right that MLIR is still early and we can build these things up over time.

One point of clarification though: MLIR was and has always been built with the idea that it would go to LLVM.  This is why it has always followed the coding style, development practices, etc.  The ‘instability’ that I expect is more about the GitHub infra changing (monorepo etc) than the code itself.

To put it another way, MLIR was built the way Clang was (both Clang and MLIR were a started as private projects that was eventually contributed to LLVM, with full revision control history).  In contrast, MLIR isn’t being built the way LLDB was, which was a project that built up over time and then was later decided to move to LLVM.

-Chris