[llvm-dev] Google’s TensorFlow team would like to contribute MLIR to the LLVM Foundation

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 10 15:51:56 PDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 1:40 PM David Greene via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > But perhaps more importantly, as Hal states clearly, is the need for
> > an official specification, similar to the one for LLVM IR, as well as
> > a formal document with the expected semantics into LLVM IR. Sooner,
> > indeed.
>
> +1.  There are all kinds of scattered documents on the TensorFlow site
> talking about MLIR, the affine dialect, etc. but nothing of the quality
> and approachability of LLVM's language reference.  I find it difficult
> to pull all the pieces together.

One of the main reason we haven't invested in a proper website and
documentation was in anticipation of a possible integration in LLVM, so we
didn't prioritize what I saw as throw-away work.
We're looking forward to have a space on llvm.org for MLIR and build great
online docs there!

Of course by its nature, MLIR doesn't lend itself to concrete semantic
> descriptions, though I would expect the affine dialect (and others) to
> have documentation on par with the LLVM IR.

Just last week I had to scout through the affine dialect "LangRef
<https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir/blob/master/g3doc/Dialects/Affine.md>"
for something, and I also felt that it is due for a refresh! It seemed a
bit more than just BNF though, do you have example of what you would like
to see expanded there?

And to be clear: the ambition should be that the dialects included in-tree
(in MLIR/LLVM) get some level of documentation on-par with LLVM LangRef.

>   For MLIR itself, I would
> want documentation somewhat less dense than the current BNF-style
> specification.
>
> Does the current proposal only cover adding the base MLIR to the LLVM
> project, or also the affine dialect and possibly others?  The affine
> dialect could certainly be quite useful for many projects.

The current proposal includes all the content of
https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir/ as-is.
It does *not* include the TensorFlow specific dialects and other pieces
here:
https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/tree/master/tensorflow/compiler/mlir/

Best,

--