[llvm-dev] Google’s TensorFlow team would like to contribute MLIR to the LLVM Foundation

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 10 13:39:51 PDT 2019

Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> But perhaps more importantly, as Hal states clearly, is the need for
> an official specification, similar to the one for LLVM IR, as well as
> a formal document with the expected semantics into LLVM IR. Sooner,
> indeed.

+1.  There are all kinds of scattered documents on the TensorFlow site
talking about MLIR, the affine dialect, etc. but nothing of the quality
and approachability of LLVM's language reference.  I find it difficult
to pull all the pieces together.

Of course by its nature, MLIR doesn't lend itself to concrete semantic
descriptions, though I would expect the affine dialect (and others) to
have documentation on par with the LLVM IR.  For MLIR itself, I would
want documentation somewhat less dense than the current BNF-style
specification.

Does the current proposal only cover adding the base MLIR to the LLVM
project, or also the affine dialect and possibly others?  The affine
dialect could certainly be quite useful for many projects.

                         -David