[llvm-dev] [RFC] changing variable naming rules

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 9 06:21:28 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:03 PM Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:25 PM Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 6:17 PM Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev
>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> > I'm a little bit curious to hear more about the experiences from the changes in LLD.
>> > I’m thinking about things like:
>> [..]
>> > - merging of bugfixes to older release branches (I doubt that the script supports doing the reverse rewrite as well)
>>
>> As someone who does a lot of these merges, this is the aspect that
>> worries me the most.
>

> How large is a typical patch to merge that is backported from the next major release to a previous dot release?

The diffs are usually fairly small, but there can be many. For 8.0.1
there were about 60 patches merged (git log
llvmorg-8.0.0..llvmorg-8.0.1 --oneline | wc -l). (For 9.0.0 I think
we're approaching 200 merges.)

Depending on when the rename happens, I guess it could affect merges
either for a major release or for a dot release, and it would mean a
lot of extra work unless there was some tool available to help. Maybe
if the rename happens after a dot release ships and before the next
major release process begins, it would not affect any merges at all,
but that's a pretty slim window, and downstream users might have other
release processes.