[llvm-dev] Recent LLVM Build Attempt -- obj.ClangAST.vcxproj Failed to Build

Jonathan Meier via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 31 17:45:31 PDT 2019

I tracked this down to be dependent on the MSVC Conformance mode (“/permissive-“ flag [1], which explicitly disables certain non-conforming behavior that MSVC would accept otherwise). See the following minimal example: https://godbolt.org/z/fBaWdQ

In conforming mode, MSVC reports the ambiguity, in permissive mode it doesn’t. Clang, gcc and icc all accept the code. I *think* MSVC is wrong in reporting the ambiguity, since unqualified lookup inside the definition of N2::N3::f – even though f is defined outside N2::N3 – should happen scope by scope for N3, N2 and finally global. S is visible for the first time in N2 (through “using N1::S”). However, the allegedly ambiguous alias template S is only introduced in the global scope, which should not be searched at all, since we already found S in N2.

Moreover, it is interesting to note that if C is not a class template, MSVC accepts the code even in conforming mode: https://godbolt.org/z/O7jbq2

If my reasoning above is correct, this is a bug in MSVC under conforming mode.

Reid, thank you for your patch in 19f1dc7. Note that directly including clang/Basic/LLVM.h is not necessary, since it is already included indirectly via ByteCodeStmtGen.h. Moreover, the same alias templates are also present in ByteCodeExprGen.cpp, you might want to remove them there as well.

[1]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/permissive-standards-conformance?view=vs-2019