[llvm-dev] RFC: Updating to CMake 3.15.0

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 29 22:18:10 PDT 2019

I am sure quite a number of packages not supported in the distribution
are easy to build and install into /usr/local/bin and such.

It is not that it is easy to defeat the standard distribution and update
procedures as that doing so puts that software out of sync with the
standard update procedure. From then on the distribution update for
cmake has no effect. I suspect there are fairly rigid rules on
production computers against doing this.

I read an email below that said it is common that these kinds of out of
distribution updates are required anyway. The only manual updates I have
had to do outside the Ubuntu distribution packages (19.04) are for tbb
and z3 which are not in the distribution anyway. I have had to install a
number of additional packages from the distribution, but this is not the
case under discussion.

For cmake then we are making a new, unique case, a case that I expect is
against standard procedures for common production installations.

If there are no pressing reasons for this manual requirement, it is on
its face a bad choice to make. It is against how common distribution
software is done and has been done for some time now.

Neil Nelson