[llvm-dev] RFC: LLVM Build System Future Direction

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 29 20:58:20 PDT 2019

This page will show which cmake versions install with the different
Ubuntu releases.

xenial 16.04 cmake 3.5.1

bionic 18.04 cmake 3.10.2

cosmic 18.10 cmake 3.12.1

disco 19.04 cmake 3.13.4

eoan 19.10 cmake 3.13.4

19.10 is a new release as of 10/20. And it is common to use the LTS
releases with the last one being 18.04, cmake 3.10.2.

For around the last decade or so it has been bad form to override the
standard release packages, a rule I expect is well known to those on the
LTS releases. Of course those on different OS's will have different
standards but as with all these software package dependencies there is
likely some release level that does not overly burden a primary number
of users, while still burdening the remainder, but where nevertheless a
reasonable line has to be drawn.

Drawing the line at everyone, which could well be the case here, may be
more than what is required.

Neil Nelson