[llvm-dev] RFC: On non 8-bit bytes and the target for it

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 29 15:55:20 PDT 2019

I'd note that GCC removed its last upstream target with a BITS_PER_UNIT !=
8 in version 4.3 in 2008 (that was TMS320C3x/C4x), and there have been none
added since. AFAIK, they're in option #1 mode -- no testing upstream, but
maybe with downstream forks that still use the ability to set it to other
values, and besides, a constant is nicer than a magic "8" anyways.

Last time this was discussed, the LLVM project already came to a consensus
that it's reasonable to remove magic "8"s from the code, at least where it
arguably helps code clarity -- and if that helps downstream forks with
weird byte-sizes too, that's wonderful.

But, it's not at all clear to me that it's at all worthwhile to do more
than that (e.g. changing core stuff like datalayout, introducing weird and
otherwise-irrelevant targets, or trying to figure out how to test the
functionality for changing the byte-width without a target).