[llvm-dev] Committing with git

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 28 17:21:20 PDT 2019

Yep, that's the case. I would say that we're no worse off than we were in
terms of testing, as you note. Previously svn would let us racily commit to
separate files without testing the new result. Now we're forced to observe
the race.

At the dev meeting I heard Doug Gregor say something like, "what kind of
dirty animals are you, you just push directly to master!?" Based on that, I
think other communities may set up workflows where they push branches to
places, and some automation rebases and updates master asynchronously,
optionally conditioned on some (light) testing or approval.

Maybe we'll want something like that one day, but for now, we just have to
pull, rebase, push, and hope.