[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding IR Transformation examples/tutorial code to llvm-project

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 28 09:14:05 PDT 2019

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 14:42, David Greene <greened at obbligato.org> wrote:
>
> Michael Kruse via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>>> The suggested approach does not introduce any new options/variables, it just adds an additional definition, if the existing LLVM_BUILD_EXAMPLES=On. So this should not interfere with reducing the overall options. Whatever solution will be applied to all examples should also work for the IR pass examples.
>>
>> I think he would like to remove LLVM_BUILD_EXAMPLES altogether. That
>> is, any "cmake" will execute any CMakeLists.txt, "make all" will
>> always build TutorialSimplyCFG and any execution of `opt` will call
>> initializeExampleIRTransforms.
>
> Wouldn't this help to keep the examples up-to-date?  If they fail to
> build due to API changes we'd know pretty quick.

Yes that would be great!

As mentioned earlier, I think the decision on unconditionally building the (existing) examples does not really depend on whether we add more examples. Until then, I think there are bots that build with examples enabled (and if not I’ll try to get one doing that).

Cheers,
Florian