[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding IR Transformation examples/tutorial code to llvm-project

Andrzej Warzynski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 26 08:06:29 PDT 2019

+1 I think that this will be super helpful, thank you Florian!

On 24/10/2019 18:24, David Blaikie via llvm-dev wrote:
> Sounds good - bonus points if these examples were motivated with a
> continuation to the Kaleidoscope tutorial - Eric Christopher and I did a
> tutorial on debug info back in 2014 and included new chapters for
> Kaleidoscope for future usage.

 From the conversations that I had during LLVM Dev, Kaleidoscope isn't
as helpful beginner tutorial as we tend to think. IMHO, self-contained
examples like Florian is proposing are more useful. Meike Baumgärtner
presented a great talk on the matter.

If we want to keep the number of extra CMake flags to minimum, maybe it
would be worth considering such examples as _opt_ plugins? This could
then leverage the mechanism proposed here:
1. Phab patch: https://reviews.llvm.org/D61446?id=221321#change-uAgt0khUmRhe
2. RFC: http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-May/132128.html

Just my 2c.

-Andrzej