[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding IR Transformation examples/tutorial code to llvm-project

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 25 15:52:12 PDT 2019

Am Fr., 25. Okt. 2019 um 17:32 Uhr schrieb Florian Hahn
<florian_hahn at apple.com>:
>> 2.Chris Bieneman seeks to simplify the cmake build system, including
>> significantly reducing the number of configuration parameters and
>> making "make all" really make everything, including examples. This
>> would make the overall configure process slower even when not
>> interested in the tutorials.
>

> The suggested approach does not introduce any new options/variables, it just adds an additional definition, if the existing LLVM_BUILD_EXAMPLES=On. So this should not interfere with reducing the overall options. Whatever solution will be applied to all examples should also work for the IR pass examples.

I think he would like to remove LLVM_BUILD_EXAMPLES altogether. That
is, any "cmake" will execute any CMakeLists.txt, "make all" will
always build TutorialSimplyCFG and any execution of `opt` will call
initializeExampleIRTransforms.

I am in favor of adding (more) tutorials to the repository, joint
trying to point out items to consider.

Michael