[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding IR Transformation examples/tutorial code to llvm-project

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 25 15:26:05 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:43 PM Michael Kruse via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I like the idea and already discussed it with Kit Barton.
>
> Two concerns that I had:
>
> 1. Keeping them in-tree requires them to be up-to-date, a potential
> additional maintenance burden. This might be what we want, but I get
> less enthusiastic when thinking about maintaining all tutorials ever
> given at any conference during the last xx years without having gone
> through a review process.

Given the concerns and requests for additional documentation I think
that the maintenance burden of tutorials are well within bounds of
"necessary maintenance" for the project as a whole. Hopefully API and
other updates won't feel too onerous and the additional benefits will
prove out.

... and as Dave followed up as I was writing this - I see these as
tests as well.

> 2.Chris Bieneman seeks to simplify the cmake build system, including
> significantly reducing the number of configuration parameters and
> making "make all" really make everything, including examples. This
> would make the overall configure process slower even when not
> interested in the tutorials.

I would be entirely up for having them built all the time (along with
the all of the other tutorials).

-eric