[llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 24 23:06:41 PDT 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, James Y Knight via llvm-dev wrote:

> We do not want to build supplementary notification systems to make github
> issues send additional emails that it is unable to send itself. We will only
> support what GitHub supports. That means:
> - You can subscribe to notification emails for activity in the entire
> llvm-project repository.
> - You can subscribe to notification emails on an individual issue.
> - Someone else can CC you on an individual issue to get your attention, and
> you will get notifications from that (unless you opt-out).

One thing comes to mind wrt workflows and how I often use bugzilla: After
bisecting a regression and filing a bug with the reproducer, I try to add
CCs for the author of the commit and potentially the reviewers who were
involved with the commit.

In bugzilla it's fairly easy to try type people's names (which you find
easily via the Phabricator review) and bugzilla will autocomplete and let
you pick whoever seems to match what you typed.

In github I'd presume you need to know the github username of the ones you
want to CC. For the cases where it matches the Phabricator username, this
is straightforward, but I'm sure there's a significant number of users
where the mapping isn't obvious.

After filing a regression bug I normally link to it from the originating
review thread as well, which hopefully serves as notification to the same
people as well though. (But depending on mail sorting habits and use of
Phabricator, where e.g. I normally only list open reviews, it can be easy
to miss a comment on a closed review).

// Martin