[llvm-dev] (no subject)

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 20 18:52:46 PDT 2019

Correct, with a couple of nit picks.

Relocation isn't an optimization the collector performs.  It's a key
primitive the collector is built upon.  Being unable to relocate is not
an allowed state.  (i.e. pinning can't be required by the compiler)

When you talk about variables, that's true for the *source* language and
for the *abstract* machine before lowering.  After lowering from the
abstract machine, relocations are represented in the IR explicitly as an
entirely new set of defs.

Philip